Wednesday 3 June 2009

Heads in the sand

journalists seem to think they're exempt from the ongoing debate over how newspapers are going to reverse their fortunes. Afterall, no journalist should have to let those toxic commercial thoughts even cross their mind during the writing process.

Well those with their heads in the sand waiting for the big hitters to come up with a solution are missing a trick.

Building up yourself as a brand through the various web 2.0 opportunities could create the kind of model that papers have to look at as we see the gradual unbundling of media. If I now look at the toolbar across the top of my screen, it features ten of my favourite writers and two newspapers. If I was forced to pay, it would be a genuinely hard decision as to who I'd cut off the list. These individuals have gained a position of trust and have been promoted in my own little world to become my filters on business, media, culture, music etc etc. There is a value here which could be expolred further.

No comments:

Post a Comment