Thursday 18 June 2009

Spotify: something changed

something weird has happened, i've gone from spotify evangelist / advocate / the bloke who won't shut up to spotify part owner. What I mean by this is that somewhere in the last couple of days of listening, the ads have really started to grate, music as free has lost it's excitement and now feels like the norm. I guess this is how the brand monetise things but I'm not giving in that easily, afterall with roots in record collecting I still believe in the ownership of music as a wonderful thing.

the reason I say part owner is that I feel that because i've travelled up and down the long tail searching, compiling, sharing that when some punk nips in with 'hi i'm adam from spotify' it no longer feels right but spotify stepping into my personal space.

Is this something that's happening to other users? spotify seems to have now reached the critical mass, what are the next steps? will users get annoyed enough to pay for premium? hard to tell - for me it depends on their previous behavior. It's very hard to sign up for premium if you've spent years of your life trawling through dusty record shops looking for that elusive sonar kollectiv 12"

No comments:

Post a Comment